Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: craniosacral therapy

Default craniosacral therapy

Does anyone know anything about this?? A coworker mentioned it to me. Just wondering if someone had dealt with it.

Ok I looked into this briefly before we had a firm diagnosis... It should work IF you don't have true craniosynostosis I.E. there isn't a seam fused. but there is no "moving" a fused seam. My sister is an LMT (massage therapist) and one of the few on the very clinical side and not the earthy aura fluffing side (nothing wrong with that ... who doesn't enjoy having their aura fluffed?) and I called her in tears after a new craniosacral therapist told me she could certainly feel "movement" in his head. it through me for a loop. (well of course there would be movement we had 3 open seems only one fused! but that won't solve the problem)

So I freaked out worrying that if I didn't pay heaping sums of money for therapy that might work before our only open fontanelle closed then I would surely be setting my son up for surgery (which he needed since birth) But we had a 6 week wait until our initial diagnostic appointment... and I ended up being terrified that I had an imaginary window that was going to close before I took the best care of my son possible.

I was ridiculous about it... It was one of the few things that smacked me sideways and emotionally nailed me. YOU may not be ridiculous about it... but if you have a fused seam it won't help that seam. if you have a different condition it might be just the ticket... But don't go into it thinking it can fix cranio... even mild cranio it can not.

But if you want to mitigate the trauma of the birth experience for your child and realign their Chi.... it's just the thing.
    Amy
    Wife to Ryan (Sagittal, surgery @ 6mos. 1977)
    mother to
    Dane Alexander (8-16-03)
    Halle Corinne (3-19-06)
    Liam Knight (12-06-08) Sagittal surgery with Dr. Monica Wehby in Portland Oregon 3-16-09

Hi, i don't think i've welcomed you to craniokids! i think amy really said it all there, i too looked into this before we had an official diagnosis of cranio, i even brought zara to a session, the therapist said she felt 'movement' zara screamed the whole way though and i felt just terrible, the following week we had her diagnosis and i pushed the therapy to the back of my mind, yep, it wil help if sutures are overlapped, but if they are fused, the only treatment is surgery.... Xx
    Chloe,

Mum to 3 beautiful children-

Aaron 12/2/02
    Joey 5/3/06
    Zara 16/12/07 our little princess-right unicoronal. Surgery 29th April 2009. Great Ormond Street Hospital

Zara's craniofacial journey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNbSmC8LNU

Cranio Mentor and Azia's Mommy Tawnia's Avatar

Welcome to CK! I am echoing the other ladies here - it does nothing for fused sutures...bone is bone.

Do not know anything about this, but will have to agree with the others. If the suture is fused (turned to bone) then no amount of physical manipulation will correct it. Probably not the news you were hoping for, but better to be informed, IYKWIM. Hope everything works out, keep us posted :)
    Julie
    mom of two boys
    Zachary Joseph Marquez 9/4/02 - no cranio
    Alexander Michael Marquez 9/2/08 - metopic cranio
    surgery 5/15/09 with Dr. Fearon & Dr. Sacco

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexmarquez

My son Hayden receives cranial sacral therapy once a week since he had his last surgery in Oct.
    Tina

Mommy of 2 wonderful kids
    Alyssa 12-19-99 no cranio
    Hayden 11-22-07 left coronal synostosis
    Torticollis
    Endoscopic surgery 12-14-2007
    Cvr/foa 10-17-2008

Universal healthCARE now! AllyCat's Avatar

I think most of us have tried to find a non-surgical option for fixing this. I am a fairly "crunchy" person and use natural remedies for just about everything. Not this. I had someone tell me too that "no suture was ever fused" and that is true in someone without craniosynostosis. But cranio is FUSED BONE. There is no suture line. Tux1982 has some great photos of his recent adult CT scan. It is obvious in those photos that he has closed adult sutures (look like lines on the skull) and FUSED sutures (solid, bony ridge where his cranio is).

I had someone on one of my discussion forums tell me I was putting my kid through unnecessary surgery when a good chiro or CS therapist could fix him. I sent her photos of Rohan's CT scan. There were no more comments of that sort.

Hugs to you as you deal with this. None of wanted to hear surgery was needed and you ultimately have to make the decision for your baby. But keep in mind CS will NOT fix this.
    Allison

Mommy to:
    Matthew (7) No cranio
    Rohan (5) Left coronal Surgery 2008

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/rohansorg

Way to put a stop to someone guilt tripping you Allison! and Way to take advantage of the healing effects of massage When it IS beneficial Tina!
    Amy
    Wife to Ryan (Sagittal, surgery @ 6mos. 1977)
    mother to
    Dane Alexander (8-16-03)
    Halle Corinne (3-19-06)
    Liam Knight (12-06-08) Sagittal surgery with Dr. Monica Wehby in Portland Oregon 3-16-09

we tried this. but it wasn't exactly cranio-sacral.. it was osteopathic neuromuscular manipulation. our guy heard about us, and wanted to treat our son free of charge, so we thought. hey, why not? where the difference of opinion is in that an osteopath says that bones never TRULY fuse, whereas an MD says they do. that belief has do with the plates being in continuous motion on these fluid fields, and they believe there is an underlying tightness that keeps the plates from "unlocking" and being able to move back into the right place on their own. sounded legitimate to us. we ended up cancelling our first surgery date, because we needed to give the treatments more time to work. well, they didn't. our guy said that he believed that we had a true case of premature fusion.
    but, we have no regrets from trying it. now we feel totally confident that we tried everything we possibly could before finally going ahead with the surgery.
    surgery for sagittal cranio 3/20/09

WE'RE ON THE OTHER SIDE!! WHOOPIE!

We are going to an osteo right now and I will continue to take Chaz there before and after surgery (if surgery is necessary). Yes, the metopic is fused, and no amount of cranio-sacral or osteo will change this. However, osteo will help with Chaz's other sutures which need to continue to move freely, now moreso that ever. The osteo gave us some stretches and exercises to do as well, just to keep the muscles loose in the neck/jaw/eyes and cranium, and to help keep the soft spot from getting smaller. I have not seen any huge changes at this point, but it keeps me feeling as though I can help him a little.

Doctors and Osteos are usually at opposite ends of the spectrum as far as beliefs and treatments go, and I believe that both have a time and place. Our osteo was quite willing to collaborate with the doctor.
    Monica
    Married to Glen-July 2, 1999
    Mom of Maya Rose-Born April 16, 2004 and
    Charles Adrian John (Chaz)-Born January 21, 2009-Moderate Metopic

Surgery performed on October 20/09 by Dr. Gilardino and Dr. Montez and Montreal Children's